2024 marks the 200th anniversary of the death of the great romantic poet Lord Byron, who sacrificed his life in the Struggle for the independence of Greece. The Society for Hellenism and Philhellenism (SHP) and the Philhellenism Museum declare 2024 as the “YEAR OF LORD BYRON AND PHILHELLENISM” with the aim of highlighting and honoring, through a series of actions, the great British Philhellene and the contribution of Philhellenism internationally, as well as institutionalizing lasting Philhellenism as the set of values on which Western civilization is based.
The SHP and the Philhellenism Museum are planning a series of actions and events of historical, political, cultural, and educational content, aimed at raising international awareness on the promotion of the recent historical past as a source of inspiration for contemporary cultural creation and on the continuous philhellenism as a fundamental element of progress, based on the values of freedom, democracy, justice, and human rights.
The SHP program for 2024 includes, indicatively:
- A funding programme to support actions to be implemented by organizations in Greece and internationally.
- Events, exhibitions, and conferences in Greece, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, and Italy.
- The official inauguration of the Philhellenes Monument in Athens.
- The award of the Lord Byron Prize and Medal for 2024.
- The announcement of a student competition for 2024 “YEAR OF LORD BYRON AND PHILLELLENISM”.
- The announcement of a competition for the official logo for 2024 “YEAR OF LORD BYRON AND PHILLELLENISM”.
- A series of commemorative publications.
For more information, please contact: +30.210.8094750, email@example.com